Tuesday, March 17, 2009

This is why I am coming back looking more like 2 Sarahs than 1

This entry is for Laura because I am about to list everything I ate today because today was a great eating day.. 

Breakfast
Bought some AMAZING fresh, plump, juicy, red strawberries on the way to school and some beautiful red oranges.  I got to school early and made some delicious orange juice (red orange juice) and enjoyed every bite of my strawberries.  

Lunch
Decided to go to this restaurant/cafe in La Marsa with my friend Lindsay.  We made the right choice.  We ate at this cafe the first week we were here and it still provides the best fish I have ever tasted.. something about the seasoning just makes it perfect (and the fact that the fish is just incredible).  So after some interesting communication Lindsay and I had.. 
-one plate of "Tunisian salad" each which is a little plate with harissa, lettuce, oil, olives, lettuce and some other little ingredients.  This is eaten with bread (surprise).  
-one little plate of kefteji to split (warm which is exactly how I like it but unusual to come by.. usually Tunisians serve it cold for some reason).
-one plate of rice (actually pretty good- moist, a little spicy, enough seasoning) with fries on the side
-one plate of squid or calamari or something in some kind of spicy tomato sauce.. very yummy.
-the best part: THE FISH.  I am not a fish expert of any kind but MAN.. the seasoning, the lemon spritzed over it and just the fish itself- BARSHA BENIEN (my transliteration of wicked good in Tunisian dialect)
-perhaps the second best part: dessert.  As we were walking back on this beautiful day completely satisfied we both looked at each other and it was decided... what better way to top it all off than with some ice cream from pretty much the best gelato place in the area?  Naturally we went.  I ordered my new favorite ice cream/gelato flavor- Bounty, which is based off of the candy bar (I don't know if we have it in America but I discovered it when I was in New Zealand.. it's basically a Mounds bar but without the almond).  Basically, Bounty is coconut flavored (not creamy) with little milk chocolate shavings/specs throughout.  YUM.  Oh, and my second scoop was the classic cookies and cream adaption, stragetellia (sp?).  I was literally singing the song "Perfect Day" in my head on the way back to Sidi Bou Said.  

Dinner
My host family has been on this American-Tunisian food kick and I hope that it doesn't last long because I love their Tunisian food and I also hope that they do not think that I don't love Tunisian food because that is just straight up not true at all.  Anyhow, dinner was
1- Pizza (spicy tomato sauce, cheese, hot pepper, some little veggies, and tomato on a thick tortilla-esque bread)
2- Tunisian carrot salad side 
3- CHOCOLATE CREPE, WHOA


So basically, it has been a perfect day for my taste buds.  What more can I ask for??

2 comments:

  1. i love food -- it just makes everything worth it, right? haha. so glad you are getting to eat some yummy things! learn to cook some and make it for us next year :) yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey girl hey!
    "Its the perrrrfectt dayyyy, nothings standing in our wayyyy"

    Thanks for the food message dedication. Much appreciated over here. Somehow i feel as if food is taking over my life. because when i came home from mexico..my FB wall is filled with food stories. Oh well.

    Sounds amazing though. and yes, please dont get married in africa. I would must enjoy being there. unless this is some trip to get my parents to let me come see you! And yes please come home in general. what the hell would i do?

    I hope we talk sooon! my birthday is coming up! be safe over there and keep this whole eating thing up. when you get back ill have dad cook you some of his fish...you can compare. you know he cant wait to hear all about this fish. obvi.

    HAVE FUN! are u going ANY school work? if not...you know i am proud ;)

    ReplyDelete